The special select mission of the University of Wisconsin Department of History, in furthering the missions of the University of Wisconsin System and the University of Wisconsin Centers, creates the responsibility to disseminate historical knowledge and understanding, enrich student and community understanding of history, enhance historical knowledge, and provide historical outreach services.
To accomplish this mission the UWC Department of History will actively stress:
- Promoting effective teaching through continued evaluation and the development of new pedagogical initiatives.
- Promoting research and writing which enables members of the department to enhance the UW Centers' teaching mission.
- Promoting the creation of new historical knowledge which enhances the profession's and public's understanding of the past.
- Promoting the participation of department members in discipline related professional organizations at the regional, national, and international levels.
- Promoting the sharing of historical knowledge through collaboration with K-12 educators and other interested members of our host communities.
- Promoting the knowledge and understanding which is gained through a social science and/or humanities perspective.