Budgeting and Accounting

The Study Abroad Office will track all monies collected from student payments and the advanced disbursements for expenses. The usual advanced disbursements include payments for airfare, transportation to/from airport, and accommodations. Ideally all or most costs will be paid in advance. If it is not possible for the Study Abroad Programs Office to pay all costs prior to departure, a travel advance will be issued to the instructor/facilitator for the remaining known expenses included in the budget.  Prior to departure, the instructor/facilitator will receive an accounting binder that includes a form to accurately record all expenses incurred during the trip.

  • If necessary, the faculty leader is responsible for obtaining Travel Credit Cards or Traveler’s Checks for transporting the money.
  • The faculty leader must keep original receipts for all money spent overseas and record the expenses in the accounting book supplied by the Study Abroad Coordinator. Copies of receipts and credit card statements are not acceptable forms of proof of purchase. The accounting binder must be returned to the Study Abroad Office no later than three weeks after the completion of the Travel Course. The accounting binder that faculty receive prior to departure contains envelopes to keep receipts and spreadsheets to account for expenses.
  • The use of University receipts (generic yellow) is only acceptable in extreme circumstances. For accounting purposes, it is required that you submit receipts that clearly identify the name of the company (restaurant, museum, Bus Company, etc.). Only use University receipts as a last resort, when the company/individual you are working with cannot provide you with an official receipt.
  • Expenses that cannot be claimed for reimbursement include alcoholic beverages, spousal or family member travel costs, non-business related phone calls, lost/stolen personal cash or property, traffic citations, parking tickets or other fines, personal entertainment, extra baggage charges, childcare costs, late payment penalties and interest on corporate credit cards.
  • At the completion of the Travel Course, any money left over from the Travel Advance must be returned to the Study Abroad Office in US Dollars, or Cashier’s Check, along with the Accounting Binder. Foreign currency will not be accepted.
  • If more money is spent than that was received in the Travel Advance, the UW Colleges will not provide a refund of personal funds or additional money except in emergency situations.
  • It is not appropriate to ask students to bring more money than what was advertised in order to cover budgeted expenses (lodging, meals, transportation, etc.). Any additional money brought by the students should be used for incidentals of a personal nature. Incidental expenses (souvenirs, gifts, medication, sunscreen, insect repellant, doctor’s visit, etc.) should never be paid with group money.