Program Administration


Recruiting participants for the short-term program is one of the primary responsibilities of the faculty leader. It should start immediately after the program is approved. In general, a minimum number of participants must be enrolled in the course for the program to run. The minimum number will be determined by the program budget which is worked out by the Study Abroad Coordinator. The number usually ranges between 15 and 25. Please refer to the Faculty Manual for ideas and methods regarding marketing your program.


Recruitment of students for the study abroad programs starts at least two semesters before the travel occurs. The students are not able to enroll through PRISM. They need to upload application forms from the Study Abroad website (, complete them and submit to the Study Abroad Coordinator. A typical application includes personal data, emergency information, and financial aid eligibility questions. UW Colleges students should apply for Winterim Study Abroad Programs by October 15 and for Spring/Summer Study Abroad Programs by February 15. It is expected that UW Colleges students who are applying for the study abroad experiences are in sufficient academic standing.


After students have been accepted and enrolled into the program, faculty/staff program leaders must ensure that participants complete or are in possession of the following:

  • Valid passport and visa (if applicable).
  • Pre-departure orientation and on-site orientation.
  • Signed and submitted Uniform Statement of Responsibility, Release, and Authorization (Appendix H).
  • Signed and submitted Alcohol Abuse and Misuse and Drug Use Policy (Appendix I).
  • Medical profile (faculty leaders should carry sealed envelopes containing copies of emergency medical information from all students).
  • Registration with the U.S. Department STEP program.
  • Medical insurance (CISI) that covers the student while abroad (Appendix G).


Disability-based needs should be addressed in the program planning process to ensure that contracts with vendors or other institutions address how to provide accommodations for students with special needs. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the UW Colleges Study Abroad Office or the faculty leader if he or she desires accommodation for any disability. Occasionally, accommodations available in the U.S. may not be available at an institution abroad.


Health insurance is required for all students participating in the UW Colleges sponsored study abroad programs. The UW Colleges Study Abroad Coordinator will enroll all students and faculty in CISI insurance policy (Appendix G in the Faculty Manual). Under the CISI plan, all students and faculty are covered during the duration of the study abroad program. Faculty/staff program leaders should get acquainted with CISI health coverage plan.


Federal financial aid can be requested for the study abroad programs. Upon request the UW Colleges Financial Aid Office will add the cost of a study abroad trip to student’s Cost of Attendance. This will not result in additional grant funds. It will maximize a student’s loan eligibility. This applies to those students who are not already using their maximum loan eligibility. If a student is unsure as to his/her Direct Loan eligibility, he/she should check with the Financial Aid Office.  

The UW Colleges Study Abroad office has limited scholarship funds available for students participating in study abroad programs (detailed information on UW Colleges Study Abroad Scholarships is available in Appendix J in the Faculty Manual). The deadline for these scholarships is October 1 for Winterim, and February 1 for Spring and Summer. Students may also be eligible to apply for additional scholarship funds from other sources, including their own Campus.


All students as well as faculty need a valid passport for the duration of the program. (Note: passports often must be valid for several months beyond the length of your stay.) The process of obtaining a passport can take four to six weeks, and sometimes longer, so ask students to plan ahead and apply in advance. U.S. citizens should visit the U.S. Department of State Passport website ( for information about obtaining or renewing a passport.

If your program’s host country requires a visa for entry or for stays over a certain number of days, students (and faculty leaders) will need to apply to the Consular Services of that country. Some countries require entry visas, even for short stays or for transit through one country to the next. The requirements will be country-specific; you can obtain that information from the country’s consulate. A list of many embassies is available at Note: Your program participants will likely include both U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens. Non-U.S. citizens may be required to apply for visas in cases where U.S. citizens do not need visas for entry into foreign countries and vice versa.


Students and faculty should sign up for Smart Traveler Enrollment Program formerly known as “Travel Registration” or “Registration with Embassies” to receive the latest travel updates and information ( When you sign up, you will automatically receive the most current information about the country where you will be traveling.  You will also receive updates, including Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts (where appropriate).  You only need to sign up once, and then you can add and delete trips from your account based on your current travel plan. The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program can assist you better in the case of an emergency, such as a lost or stolen passport. They also assist U.S. citizens in other emergencies, such as in natural disasters.  The travel and contact information you enter into the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program will make it easier for consular officers in U.S. embassies and consulates around the world to contact you and your loved ones during an emergency —including situations where your family or friends in the U.S. are having problems trying to contact you with important news.


Faculty leaders should be prepared to provide information to participants’ parents/families, including the program brochure and country-specific information from the U.S. Department of State (see You may want to create a separate packet of information or letter specifically for parents. An information packet for parents should include:

  • Outline of the program highlighting academic and behavioral expectations.
  • Detailed itinerary of the program for the entire period, indicating contact information for hotels or other accommodations.
  • Emergency contact information for faculty leader and UW Colleges contacts.
  • Copy of Unified Statement Form.
  • A request that parents/families impress upon their students the need to act responsibly throughout the entire period of the trip.